Conservation of Paintings
We are experienced in treating a wide variety of painting conditions including yellowing varnish, surface dirt, tears, lost or flaking paint, loosening canvas, fire or water damage and many others. Each painting project is unique and we take into consideration its history, environment and materials when formulating our treatment plan. Our work on paintings can include:
- Condition reports, including recommendations for treatment where needed.
- Cleaning to remove old restoration, surface dirt and discolored varnish.
- Structural repair including strip-lining, full lining, patches, repairs to original stretchers and, where appropriate, new stretchers and supports.
- Consolidation of loose paint and inpainting of missing areas, always limiting the retouch to areas where the original paint is missing.
- Varnishing with removable, non-yellowing conservator’s varnish.
- Frame restoration or new archival framing when needed.